GlobalTrek .:. 1983 to Present

Monday, September 17, 2007

DRC looking unlikely

I've just gotten off the phone with Alex Mujyambere, a local guide who leads weekly trips to see the mountain gorillas of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). As I mentioned prior to leaving, I would be taking no unnecessary risks on this trip; only calculated ones. DRC has just earned itself a place in the first category.

The area I'd like to visit surronds the border town of Goma. Unfortunately, according to Alex, the government is no longer in control of the area and his outfit hasn't led trips there for the past 3 weeks. He mentioned that this may change, but for now, he's not going. If he's out, I'm way out. I really want to support the community in the DRC, specifically the gorillas, but with this degradation of security, I just won't be able to. The real shame is that now is when these very rare creatures need our support the most.

So, for now, I'll be looking at tracking from here in Uganda or in Rwanda. Keep your fingers crossed though and maybe I'll be able to get to the DRC afterall.

1 comment:

JulyDream said...

Hope you're safe. Just saw a quick blurb about flooding in parts of Africa. Sending you my best. xo