GlobalTrek .:. 1983 to Present

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Where'd I go?

It's been nearly a month since I posted anything on Tea Time Tales. First off, allow me to apologize to my faithful readers, many of whom have sent messages of concern.

I'm currently in Nairobi and can only explain my absence from publishing rather than excuse it. Having traveled through stunning lands and having seen truly breathtaking things, I understand how you would expect me to share. The truth is that although such have been part of the experience of GT:Africa, the flip side has been to immerse myself into the trials and tribulations of ordinary Africans. This journey has unveiled the depths of human depravity and its resultant destruction of individuals and societies. I have elected to bare witness to the extreme poverty of some in Ethiopia and the vast suffering of the survivors of the Rwandan genocide.

While my reactions to these events have left me at times enthused and inspired to work to craft solutions to these ills, I have also been worn down by their enormity. Such wear cannot, despite attempts, be refreshed by the various beers of Africa nor by regressing to a time when I was more oblivious, but rather by re-doubled efforts to evoke positive change in the lives of those I have met. I will need you and your friends and families to accomplish this.

In the coming weeks, I'll get a number of new posts up about GT:Africa and my adventures, but there will also be specific calls to action on campaigns that I'll be driving for the end of 2007 and the coming year. The two major projects include a new program for orphans in Lalibela, Ethiopia as well as what I hope will become global support for one Rwandan named Fraterne Bugabo who lost all of his support and most of his family in the horrors of 1994 when the world shied away from their responsibility to project the people of that nation.

I've been through the psychological and emotional wringer, folks, but I've come out the other end healthy and enthused. Africa is a wonderful place, and well worth fighting for. I hope you'll help me do that.

Cheers,

D.

No comments: