GlobalTrek .:. 1983 to Present

Monday, May 14, 2007

What happened on XX/XX/XXXX?

I've always been interested in history and the peculiar conicidences it seems to reveal. I recall pundits claiming that April 20th was an "evil" day for the pain it has spawned.

I personally feel some of this as on my birthday, August 6th, the United States dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan. I think of that and have observed a moment of silence every year since I was 9. I was up a tad late last night, watching Cry Freedom and looking for more info on Steve Biko and found an interesting resource offered by the New York Times.

It lists major historical events on any given day. I found it interesting that I share my birthday with some influential characters including:

  • Andy Warhol
  • M.Night Shyamalan
  • Lucille Ball
  • Sir Alexander Fleming
  • Dutch Schultz
  • David Robinson
I'd never known that before. Perhaps you'd like to see what happened on your birthday, or see if you can find that "good" day.

New York Times' On This Day Archive

1 comment:

JulyDream said...

Another fun time waster is the homepage of answers.com. It gives you a brief update of what's going on in the world today, what happened in history as well as daily birthdays. You can also search their archive to see what happened on specified days over the past year or so. :)